There's not much you won't do when you have a child that's not developing properly. My hubby and I took a class to take my son back to basics and try to re-develop things that didn't develop naturally.
We took a class called the Little Giant Steps Program by Jan Bedell. Here are my notes:
Goal: To Build Neurological Efficiency by Stimulation.
I. Organizing & Pre-thinking of the brain.
* Army crawl
* Hands & Knees crawl - right hand over left knee (criss-cross action)
* Marching - right hand over left knee
* Skipping & Walking Fast - arms swinging (criss-cross action)
II. Message Fingers, arms, legs and Toes
* Message hard so they will get the sensation
* This will give the child a sense of where they are.
* Might need to be up against you because otherwise he feels like hes floating in space. He doesnt know what to do with his hands or arms or his body.
* That may be why he needs to be right up against his teachers at school.
III. Storage of Information
* Mix dominance can cause over emotional, unorganized, less logical, more fatigued at end of day.
* Changing established dominance - takes 1 year.
* Right handed - needs right eye, right ear, and right leg to be dominant.
* Determining current dominance:
* Far point - look through a circle with your hand, bring it to your face. What eye are you using?
* Near point - look through a camera - what eye are you using?
* Solution - current dominant eye with a black patch on glasses.
Put a piece of paper in front of their face and whisper to a child. What side of their face to they lean in with? Or what side do they put the phone?
* Solution - Ear plugs.
C. Leg: What leg do they use to kick a ball or hop on one leg?
* Solution - get them to use the correct foot to kick a ball & hop on one leg.
(Needs to work right to utilize information.)
* Sensitivity to Touch
* Solution - get a rough towel or bath gloves and rub skin rigorously.
2. Sensitivity to Taste
* Solution - put salt, sugar, lemon on their tongue.
3. Sensitivity to Hearing
* Solution - Samonas sound therapy.
4. Lack of eye focus
* Test - Put a picture 8 away from face. Bring it to 2 from face and see if both eyes are coming in at the same rate. Or flash a pen light in eye and see where the white dot is.
* Solution - put a penny on a flashlight 1-2 away. On for 3 seconds off for 10 seconds on both eyes
V. Processing - KEY!
1. Short term memory
* 2 years - should be able to remember 2 things sequentially.
* 3 years - should be able to remember 3 things sequentially, etc. up to 7 things.
* Practicing is the only way to learn.
* When the child can remember 5 to 6 in a row then theyre ready for Phonix.
* Dont look up - theyre visualizing.
* If mouth is moving then they are repeating the numbers in a row.
* Solution - Say Touch nose (pause) ear
* Solution - Repeat after me 7 (pause) 3
* Summarize instructions for child using fingers.
* Kids should move up 1 year every 4 months.
* Tonal processing: tones not interpreting correctly; ear not retaining information.
* Caused by ear infections and allergies.
* Solution - show pictures and then cover them up with a towel. Ask them to tell you what they saw (in order).
* Solution - show cards with sequential numbers 0-9.
* On first try they should get 2 out of 3.
* Show numbers for 3 seconds then ask them what they saw.
* Dons say it too fast or too slow, be consistent.
* Work with 20 cards a week and then recycle them.
* Option: let them see the cards but read them backwards.
* Solution - books on tape (with out pictures).
* Computer program - Brainbuilder
* If you look up to remember you are visualizing.
* Visualiazers have problems with: spelling, math, making decisions
* Solution - math problems on imaginary chalkboard or sky write.
* Solution - pretend mom is blind and paint a picture with words (tell her what the picture looks like).
* If you look down you are conceptualizing.
* Conceptualizers have problems with reading comprehension, verbal and written expression.
* Solution - pretend mom is blind and tell me what the picture feels like. What do you feel when you look at it.
Print Free File: Download